According to the latest decision by the Minister of Labour, Welfare and Social Insurance, asylum seekers are allowed to work, 9 months after the submission of their asylum application. You can find the decision here
NOTE: Asylum seekers who have not yet completed 9 months from the date of their asylum application and are already legally employed, are allowed to continue working.
According to the new decision:
- The employer must submit an application to the Ministry of Labour in order to employ asylum seekers. The application must be approved by the Ministry of Labour for the employment to be legal.
- The employer must inform employees in writing about the terms and conditions of the job. The terms and conditions must be at the same level for all employees of the company (for example asylum seekers, EU citizens, Cypriots etc).
- The employer must inform the employee about the basic terms and conditions, within 7 days from starting date. Those include information on location and duration of the employment, position or duties, salary, frequency of payments, working hours of a typical day or week (for positions where working scedule is mostly known).
- The employer must inform the employee about complimentary terms and conditions within 1 month, from starting date. Complimentary terms and conditions include information on annual leave, collective agreements (if any), the procedure for terminating employment, including necessary notice.
- If an asylum seeker works for a cleaning company but offers services in Tourism businesses (for example hotels), the terms and conditions of the job are regulated by the sectoral collective agreement that applies. You can find it here.
- If an asylum seeker works for a cleaning company and offers services in the Food and Beverages Industry (for example restaurants, bars etc), the terms and conditions of the job are regulated by the Leisure Centres Legislation. You can find relevant information here.
For any additional information or clarifications, you can contact us at 22205959, 97767329 (WhatsApp) or at email@example.com