Indigo Volunteers directly and efficiently connects volunteers with humanitarian organisations. Our Mission is to amplify the efforts of our partners on their mission to aid displaced communities.
As long as there are gaps in the systems supporting displaced persons, the grassroots organisations we support will be integral to the wellbeing and support of refugees and migrants all over the world. We work closely with grassroots organisations in Greece, Serbia, Bosnia & Herzegovina, France, Cyprus, Lebanon, the UK, Slovakia, Poland and Moldova who are:
- - Filling basic aid gaps in camps
- - Running community centres
- - Administering mobile medical and social support
- - Providing education
- - Distributing goods
- - Providing legal advice
- - And so much more
Our relationship with grassroots partners is a movement of solidarity. We bring together volunteers and organisations in the hope that someday their services will no longer be necessary.
The purpose of the Volunteer Coordinator role is to support our network of partner organisations by carrying out Indigo’s volunteer-matching programme. Your main responsibility is to ensure that we meet our partner’s volunteer needs by connecting them with suitable applicants from our database. You will be working closely with another Volunteer Coordinator to serve as Indigo’s placement team, and be the key point of contact for volunteers and partner organisations within the placement process. In addition to this, you will support the diversification of our volunteer recruitment by contributing to marketing and outreach efforts.
As a Volunteer Coordinator, you are expected to maintain positive working relationships with the 45+ current partner organisations supported by Indigo as well as potential new partners, primarily through remote catch-ups. Within Indigo itself, you will be engaging regularly with our international team of 5 people and several volunteers to discuss operational issues, help us carry out our organisational development and wellbeing support programmes, and to pick up any other relevant tasks within our operations where needed.
You will be expected to be an ambassador for Indigo, promoting happy, healthy, and responsible volunteer practices for all. You need to have a good understanding of the situation of refugees and displaced people in Europe and be able to signpost volunteers to key information and organisations.
You will also become a part of our Indigo team :) joining regular team building space, remote team lunches & engaging in conversations and activities to keep our organisation growing.
- Understand the volunteer needs of our partner organisations through regular engagement with their volunteer coordinators.
- Continuously update our partners’ volunteer needs across different media and recruitment platforms.
- Review volunteer applications and connect them to the right partner organisation.
- Guide our volunteers through the matchmaking process, from their initial application to their placement.
- Follow up with the volunteer and partner organisation when needed to ensure that the placement is successful.
- Log all relevant details in our Client Relationship Management (CRM) system Salesforce.
- Support evaluation mechanisms to continuously assess Indigo’s impact.
- Run introductory meetings for volunteers, in collaboration with the coordination team.
- Conduct 1:1 calls with volunteers when needed.
- Support the marketing team in gathering content from the different refugee hotspots and sharing information on our partners and their current volunteer needs.
- Support the implementation of volunteer recruitment and outreach aimed at expanding our pool of volunteers by engaging with media groups and other actors.
- Support our Salesforce Administrator with updating volunteer communications, FAQs and other online resources where needed.
- Support our Head of Programmes & Partnerships with training announcements and general partner communications where needed.
- Maintain inboxes and databases, keeping them manageable and up to date.
- Signpost partners to available resources and key documents - e.g. volunteer code of conduct, management tools, safeguarding/whistleblowing policies etc .
- Promote collaboration and resource sharing between partners where possible and appropriate.
- Always be an advocate for responsible volunteering, and make partners and volunteers aware of the resources and training opportunities that are available.
- Support the Head of Programmes & Partnerships with onboarding new partner organisations and visiting partners on the ground.
- Take on any other needed ad hoc organisational tasks that fit your interest and skill-set.
- Match volunteers with partner organisations through Salesforce.
- Ensure that our volunteer placement numbers are on target.
- Develop and maintain positive and regular working relationships with our partners’ volunteer coordinators.
To apply, please fill in this application form.
Deadline: March 22nd, 2023 11:59pm CET
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis
Skills & Experience
- Previous experience and/or demonstrated interest in the refugees and migrants sector, knowledge of the responsible volunteering concept.
- Excellent communication skills, including intercultural awareness, and the ability to effectively and diplomatically represent Indigo in a professional context.
- Experience in recruitment marketing and outreach with focus on diversity and inclusion is a big plus!
- Experience working remotely, managing your own time and multitasking.
- Excellent computer skills (e.g. Microsoft Office, Google Docs/Drive, social media, etc.),
- Strong organisation and planning skills.
- Strong team player.
- Ability to work within a challenging and high pressure sector.
- Enthusiastic about the grassroots sector - previous experience working or volunteering with displaced people preferable!