The Cyprus Refugee Council is interested to hire a motivated individual for the post of CulturalMediator/Interpreter for the project Strengthening Asylum in Cyprus funded by the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) Country Office in Cyprus.
The Cyprus Refugee Council (CyRC) is a non-governmental, non-profit organization with a focus on refugees, asylum seekers, trafficking victims and survivors of torture. CyRC strives to safeguard, support and advocate for the rights of vulnerable groups in Cyprus as well as promote their effective integration into local society.
Vacancy – Cultural Mediator/Interpreter (French/full-time)Major Duties and Responsibilities
- Establish informal dialogue and communication lines with refugees and asylum-seekers in order to gain a better understanding of the population and their concerns and priorities;
- Provide interpretation services to facilitate communication with persons of concern, in all cities and settings required.
- Assist in organizing regularly focus group discussions and awareness-raising sessions with persons of different age groups, gender and background;
- Assist in identifying persons with specific needs among the refugee and asylum-seeking population through home visits, community contacts, schools, places of worship, etc.
- Assist in disseminating information on available services and their providers, on the rights and duties of refugees and asylum-seekers;
- Promote and support community mobilization for organizing social, cultural and recreational events among refugee and host communities;
- Regularly update and share information related to areas of work, utilizing agreed data collection methods to identify gaps, assess trends and developments;
- Contribute to the planning, monitoring and evaluation of any further community outreach activities.
- Provide counselling and assistance to international protection beneficiaries and asylum seekers in order to ensure that they have access to their rights as these are envisaged in national, European and international law.
- Undertake other duties as required.
Applications MUST include a CV and a cover letter.
Closing date: 29 August 2019. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Qualifications and experience required
- Higher education degree or equivalent
- Two years prior experience in working at community level with refugees and asylum seekers
- Excellent interpersonal and communications skills, written and oral;
- Good knowledge of French, as well as good knowledge of at least one of the official languages of the organisation (English or Greek)
- Planning and organizing skills: ability to establish priorities and to plan work assignments, respond to competing demands and work under pressure of frequent, multiple and tight deadlines
- Ability to conduct situation analysis and needs assessment;
- Ability to work in a multi-cultural environment with sensitivity and respect for diversity, independently and as part of a team;
- Computer literacy: good working knowledge of Microsoft Office Tools, e-mail and Internet applications.
- Car and driving licence is required.